As part of the Old Schoolhouse Review Crew, our family was given the opportunity to review Reading Kingdom Online, a complete computer-based reading curriculum for ages 4-10 by Reading Kingdom. This program is fun and colorful, and teaches children to read and write up to a 3rd grade level.
According to the Department of Education, 2 out of 3 children fail to become proficient readers. Reading Kingdom has taken a step to help children enjoy learning to read through their beautifully-designed interface.
This program is also specially designed to work well for children who have been diagnosed with various learning disabilities. Children with Dyslexia, ADD, and Autism thrive in this learning environment. The visual stimulation improves their ability to retain information as they learn it.
Reading Kingdom Online is broken up into these segments:
- Sequencing – the process that allows us to read the same letter combinations as different words by changing their order;
- Writing – using the keyboard to physically type in the spelling of words;
- Sounds – phonics, creating words from sounds/sets of letters;
- Meaning – developing an understanding what words mean in their contexts;
- Grammar – how words and phrases go together in the English language;
- Comprehension – developing a complete understanding of what the kids read.
Benefits of using this program are:
- Research based and incredibly effective.
- The program adapts to every child and provides individualized instruction.
- Kids can use the program on their own.
- It’s fun so children think they’re playing a game and want to use it.
- It was created by Dr. Marion Blank, one of the world’s top experts in reading.
- It works as a standalone curriculum or a supple-ment.
- Works on any device with an internet connection (including Windows, Mac, iPad, Android, Chromebooks, etc.)
Here are a few screen shots of how the program works:
You can watch a video explaining the entire program here: Six Skill Integrated Method. You can also download sample lessons here: Reading Kingdom Sample Lessons. You can get a 30-day trial here: Reading Kingdom Online Trial.
After your 30-day trial, the pricing is very reasonable. It’s only $19.99 per month per student, BUT if you go ahead and purchase without doing the trial the price is only $14.99 per month per student. Each additional student is $9.99 per month (or $7.49 if you skip the trial).
So what do we think of Reading Kingdom Online?
This is a very comprehensive online program for young and struggling readers. All children ages 4-10 will probably enjoy this format, but it is specifically helpful if you have children who have been diagnosed with Dyslexia, ADD, or Autism. It’s so hard to keep kids focused at this age; but this visually stimulating, highly interactive program will keep them entertained and learning. Make sure to check out the resources, testimonials, and tons of other information on Reading Kingdom’s website.
- Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/readingkingdom
- Twitter – https://twitter.com/readingkingdom
- Pinterest – https://www.pinterest.com/readingkingdom