- Thank God for bringing you this far into the study. Ask Him to open your heart to what we are going to be talking through this week… insecurities and fears. Ask Him to reveal specifically where you struggle in thinking you are too small or that HE is too small.
- Journal about whatever God brings to mind as you are praying.
“What if this balcony falls?” With the beautiful ocean waves crashing in front of me, THAT is the thought that ran through my mind. But it didn’t keep running. It stopped in my mind and hung out for a while.
Throughout my entire life, for some reason, I tend to think on the “what if” possibilities in every situation. These thoughts seem to randomly come from out of nowhere; and in the moment, it feels like something (or someone) is taking control of my entire frame of consciousness.
Driving down the road, thoughts of impending doom. What if that car crosses the line? What if I have a blow out and run into that bridge? What if this bridge collapses? At home, more thoughts of impending doom. What if something happens to my children? What if someone breaks into the house tonight?
The vividness of what I see in my mind is just crazy. My creative imagination is sometimes not channeled properly.
And it’s not just fears. Insecurities throw distracting questions into my mind. Why did I say that? Wonder what they thought about how I reacted? Did my opinion just ruin how they think of me? Am I getting on their nerves? Are they just befriending me because they feel sorry for me? These worries overtake me just like fears.
Does any of this resonate with you? I would estimate that I probably spend 30-50% of my active thinking time OBSESSING about fears and insecurities. What about you?
When we allow our minds to “go there” and “stay there” it is constant turmoil… which is exactly what Satan wants. He wants us to live in bondage. Gripping fear and deep-rooted insecurity are two tools that he uses to paralyze us. And if we belong to Christ, Satan knows that our souls are already taken, so he wants to make us as ineffective as he can.
But God wants us to live in freedom. Jesus died and now lives again so that we can have this freedom. So what can we do? We’ve got to stay grounded in God’s word. I’m the first to admit that I fail at this… a lot! But I’m committing here with you all to start anew. To start pulling out battle verses for this particular struggle… and to trust that God can conquer it! Here are some good ones for battling insecure and fearful thoughts that overtake us:
Do not fear, for I am with you; do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand. – Isaiah 41:10
There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love. – 1 John 4:18
…for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control. – 2 Timothy 1:7
To Make You Think:
- Is this a thought pattern that you struggle with?
- If you do struggle with this, when do you find that it hits you the worst? When you are tired? When you are stressed? Other?
- Do you feel paralyzed when “what if” thoughts hit you?
- Do you believe that God is big enough to conquer this negative way of thinking in you personally?
- Find your own battle verses to hit Satan between the eyes when he tries to paralyze you. Write them down.
- Journal about your own thought struggles in this area. Commit them to God and ask Him to protect your thoughts as you sleep tonight.